Every night Donorfy will update your active Gift Aid claim - eligible Transactions are automatically added to the active claim.
For this to happen, the following conditions must always be satisfied:
- The Constituent must have an active Gift Aid Declaration on their Timeline
- The Transaction's Potentially Gift Aid-able switch must be set to Yes
- The Transaction's Date Paid is within 4 years of the end of the financial year you received it in
- The Transaction's Product is set to allow Gift Aid (Settings > Configuration > Products)
- The Transaction's Payment Method is set to allow Gift Aid (Settings > Configuration > Payment Methods)
- Must not have been previously claimed
- The Transaction was not imported (using the File Upload) as having been already claimed, thereby stopping it from appearing in any claims in Donorfy.
Review the eligible transactions
From Financial > Gift Aid click on the Active Claim tab to see the Transactions that figure in the Active Claim.
The active claim is rebuilt overnight so that any new eligible transactions are added to the claim. Any transactions that are eligible but there is something preventing the Gift Aid from being claimed for the transaction will display an error, see Correcting Errors in Gift Aid Claims
Preventing Transactions from being claimed
If you want to remove donations from the claim see "How do I remove a donation from the active claim or the ready to claim?" in the Gift Aid - Frequently Asked Questions article.
How is the Claim Submitted?
At the end of the month, the Active Claim is automatically closed and is transferred to the Ready to Claim tab - a new Active Claim is then started for the new month.
An email is sent to the system administrator(s) with details of the "Ready to Claim" claim.
You can opt to move an Active Claim to Ready to Claim earlier than the close of the month if you wish to do so, see Moving an Active Claim to Ready to Claim
The claim can then be submitted by opening Financial > Gift Aid and clicking on the Ready to Claim tab to check that all is well. If you are happy with the donations in the Ready to Claim you can either
- Press the Submit Claim button to submit the claim to HMRC, or
- Wait until the end of the month and Donorfy will automatically submit the claim for you.
Once the claim has been submitted, the claim's status is changed from Ready to Submitted - you will now find it under the Previous Claims in Financial > Gift Aid
We then make regular requests to HMRC to find out the status of the submitted claim - HMRC will respond with the following:
- Acknowledged - this means that HMRC have the claim but it hasn't been processed - the claim's state remains as submitted
- Complete - this means HMRC have processed the claim in Donorfy the claim's state will be changed to Claimed
- Error - there is some sort of problem with the claim - in Donorfy the claim's state will be changed to Rejected. You can see the error message in the status. If you are unsure as to why the claim has failed please contact Donorfy Support.