Exporting the data from Facebook
Donation and Fundraiser / Button information appears in Donorfy as a result of you uploading the information that you must first export from Facebook, using the Multi-day Transaction Report, which you can find in the Settings | Donations area of your Page (you will need to be a page Admin to do this).
Select the date range and the report to an email address in your organisation.
Why do we use export / import? It is necessary to export and import a file because Facebook do not have an API for this information.
It is important the you do not open or rename the file before importing it into Donorfy. That's because the data inside the file will be corrupted (e.g. if opened in Excel) and the upload to Donorfy will not work.
Importing the Multi-day Transaction Report into Donorfy
From the Integrations > Facebook Giving Tools area click on the Upload tab.
Here you can upload your Facebook file/s and also see previously uploaded files under the upload area.
Find your recently exported Multi-day Transaction Report and drag/drop it into the shaded area shown below.
Once the file has been added to the upload area it will be checked and if all is OK. The Apply Changes button will appear against the file name.
Clicking this button means the following updates will occur:
- for donations to a new Fundraiser the fundraiser constituent will be added. It will add a new constituent because at this stage we don't get enough information about the person that initiated the Fundraiser to reliably match to an existing constituent. You can subsequently merge constituents if they turn out to be the same person.
- for donations to a new Fundraiser or Button, the Fundraiser/Button will be added (so that you can later change the attribution of the donations relating to that Fundraiser/Button, set targets etc)
- add the donations to either the anonymous constituent or the constituent found/added - according to Settings.
- The Payment Method associated with a transaction is derived from the type of Button or Fundraiser
- Donations to Fundraisers will be soft-credited to the fundraiser constituent. The Transactions will be created and attributed to the campaign, product, fund, department associated with the Fundraiser or Button.
- For donations where the currency sent (the currency in which the donation was made) is different to the payout currency (likely to be your home currency) the Transaction Comments field will be populated with a note explaining which currency the original donation was made in.
- add the donor constituent - according to settings. Donor comms consent is updated as follows:
- if the donor ticked the box during the donation process in Facebook/Instagram then the corresponding Purpose in Donorfy will be set to Green (OK to contact)
- if the donor did not tick the box and a new constituent is being created then the Purpose will be set to Red (do not contact)
- if the donor did not tick the box and the donor is an existing constituent (we may have matched on say email and first name...) then the Purpose is left unchanged.
- Add a Gift Aid Declaration to the found/added donor constituent, if they ticked the GA box during the donation process. The Declaration end date will be saved according to the setting in Settings.
Donations are not imported when...
Donations are not imported when the payout currency is different to the default currency defined in the Transaction Entry Defaults - see Settings > Configuration.
Donations are not imported when the donation date is prior to the Integration Start Date in:
Integrations >Facebook Giving Tools > Settings tab
If a file has been uploaded and processed in error, it is possible to undo the import (therefore removing any transactions, Fundraisers, Buttons, constituents that were added). The Undo button appears against the file name of imported files.