Exporting the data from Virgin Money Giving
Donation and fundraising page information appears in Donorfy as a result of you uploading the information that you must first export from Virgin Money Giving using the Donation Report or Payment Report.
Why do we use export/import? It is necessary to export and import a file because Virgin Money Giving does not have an API for this information.
The Donation Report or Payment Report file must be saved/exported from Virgin Money Giving in CSV format and use the 'All Data Items' template.
It is important you do not open or rename the file before importing it into Donorfy. That's because the data inside the file may be corrupted (e.g. if opened in Excel) and the upload to Donorfy would not then work.
Donation or Payment Reports?
Donorfy supports import of both Donation Reports and Payment Reports from Virgin Money Giving. So should you download and import Donation Reports, or Payment Reports, or both types of report?
Donation Reports are useful because you will receive prompt notification of donations made via Virgin Money Giving, possibly before the payment reaches your bank account.
Payment Reports include information not included in Donation Reports - most usefully they let you know when Gift Aid has been reclaimed by Virgin Money Giving.
If you would like to know about donations as soon as possible, but also want to know when Gift Aid has been reclaimed, you can safely import both Donation Reports and Payment Reports.
Importing the Donation or Payment Report into Donorfy
From the Integrations > Virgin Money Giving area click on the Upload tab.
Here you can upload your Virgin Money Giving file/s and also see previously uploaded files under the upload area.
Find your recently exported Donation Report or Payment Report and drag/drop it into the area shown below.
Once the file has been uploaded it will be checked and if all is OK then the Apply Changes button will appear against the file name.
Clicking this button means the following updates will occur:
- for donations to a new fundraising page the fundraiser constituent will be added if not matched to an existing constituent
- for donations to a new fundraising page, the page will be added
- add the donations to either the anonymous constituent or the constituent found/added - according to Settings.
- The Payment Method associated with a transaction will be set to "Virgin Money Giving"
- Donations to pages will be soft-credited to the fundraiser constituent. The Transactions will be created and attributed to the campaign, product, fund, department associated with the page
- add the donor constituent - according to settings. Donor comms consent is updated as follows:
- if the donor ticked the box during the donation process in Virgin Money Giving then the corresponding Purpose in Donorfy will be set to Green (OK to contact)
- if the donor did not tick the box and a new constituent is being created then the Purpose will be set to Red (do not contact)
- if the donor did not tick the box and the donor is an existing constituent (we may have matched on say email and first name...) then the Purpose is left unchanged
- (for Payment Reports only) transactions will be updated to show Gift Aid reclaimed by Virgin Money Giving once this is confirmed
Donations are not imported when...
Donations are not imported when the donation date is prior to the Integration Start Date in Integrations > Virgin Money Giving >Settings tab.
If a file has been uploaded and processed in error it is possible to undo the import (therefore removing any transactions, pages, constituents that were added). The Undo button appears against the file name of imported files.